Murphey "Mitch" Harris
|Occupation||Detective for Park County Police|
|Voiced by||Matt Stone|
|First Appearance||Lil' Crime Stoppers|
Detective Murphey "Mitch" Harris is a member of the Park County Police Department and often works with lead detective Harrison Yates on big cases. The two are well-known for their efforts to frame numerous rich black people and to solve the infamous Left Hand Killer Case. He sometimes works as a police sketch artist, such as when Herbert Garrison came into the department hoping to locate his missing penis. Murphey was also notably traumatized by the film Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and his witness of the film helped the case against George Lucas and Steven Spielberg.
Although South Park's police are rather inept, Murphey is one of the more rational members of the force, and was was last seen in the field with Detective Yates on a prostitution sting, expressing concern for his boss.
- Lil' Crime Stoppers (s07e06; debut/cameo)
- The Jeffersons (s08e07; speaking debut as Harris)
- Cartman's Incredible Gift (s08e14; first identified as Mitch Murphey)
- Miss Teacher Bangs a Boy (s10e10)
- Eek, A Penis! (s12e05)
- The China Probrem (s12e08)
- Butters' Bottom Bitch (s13e09)
- Insecurity (s16e10; cameo)
- The City Part of Town (s19e03; cameo)
- Naughty Ninjas (s19e07)
- Although he's never seen today without his trusted comrade Harrison Yates, Murphey was first seen in the background during "Lil' Crime Stoppers".
Myths & Legends
What's in a Name?
There's been multiple similarly-named characters on the Park County Police, but this character is the only one called Detective Murphey by Trey. He was known as "Harris" in "The Jeffersons", a name also used for Yates, but has since usually been "Mitch" or "Murphey", sometimes in the same episode. No full name has been given in the show, but fans often call him Murphey "Mitch" Harris. The "Mitch" name was re-asserted in "Naughty Ninjas".
Since the 17th season, two other cops played by Matt Stone have been referred to as "Mitch" by Sgt. Yates: Mitchell Adams and Officer Barkley... but in "Naughty Ninjas", the name Mitch is once again used for Detective Murphey.