The holy prophet of the Mormon religion, Joseph Smith, Jr. was once a regular, optimistic and happy-go-lucky guy who lived in the holy land of Rochester, New York... until he was visited by an angel named Moroni and made miraculous contact with God and Jesus (much like the entire town of South Park today) and through a very complicated, confusing and possibly made-up story, started the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, despite skeptics claiming he was conning people out of their time and money for glory. He tried to lead his people to the promised land but was shot and killed by an angry mob, and died as a human in Illinois, leaving Brigham Young to lead the Mormons to paradise.
Though he died as a human soul on Earth, Smith later became an immortal as one of the Super Best Friends, teaming up with other religious figures, including Jesus, Buddha, Muhammad and Lao-Tse, to keep the world safe. He also gained the super power is ice breath, which proved useful against the powerful Mecha-Streisand.
Hey, what's there to say? You're someone who leaves an impact. Some people, or "haters," take issue with your methods or truthfulness. But dammit, that comes with the territory of being a go-getter. People with Joseph Smith DNA are known to have their followers.
"It appears this David Blaine is as dangerous as you and your young friend had feared."
- "You see, after I found the plates, the angel Moroni appeared to me again and said that I am not allowed to show the plates, or the seer stones, to anybody. Because first I must translate what's written on the plates into English, so you can all read it!" (All About Mormons)
- "[The Lord] is so mad that he will never let me translate from the plate of Lehi again. He's... we must now translate from the plate of Nephi. So it will be the same basic story, but written a little differently." (All About Mormons)
- "Boys, you need to understand that people get very offended when Muhammad is mocked because he is a religious figure." (200)
Super Best Friends
- Super Best Friends (s05e04)
- I'm a Little Bit Country (s07e01; cameo)
- All About Mormons (s07e12)
- Imaginationland (s11e10; cameo)
- 200 (s14e05)
- 201 (s14e06)
Behind the Scenes
- Trey Parker has a huge interest in Mormons, having dated a Mormon in High School. He's included Mormon characters in Cannibal! The Musical, Orgazmo and South Park, and he, Matt Stone and Robert Lopez created a play in 2011 titled The Book of Mormon, which also featured Smith.
- Both Trey Parker and Matt Stone have provided Smith's voice in the show; Trey provided it in "Super Best Friends" and Matt took over for the expanded role in "All About Mormons".
- In reality, Joseph Smith showed the golden plates to twelve other people, and their testament to having seen them is included in most copies of the Book of Mormon, including Martin Harris.
- He maintains the same appearance until "200", at which point he has a much more cleaned up hairstyle with more detail and a couple other design tweaks.
- If you look real close in "I'm a Little Bit Country", during the big final crowd shot, Officer Barbrady is replaced by a SECOND Joseph Smith!